Testing waters...Monza turn signal assemblies

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Testing waters...Monza turn signal assemblies

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:48 pm

As many of you may know, I am working with Wayne Herz to try and make some parts available for H bodies. We have been offering mostly Vega parts such as side markers, 71-73 turn signal lenses and gaskets, taillight gaskets for both the 71-72 and the elusive 73 taillight gasket. We also have the rubber hood bumper kit including the impossible to find side fender bumpers. These go along with the many parts that I have personally tried to offer more for the Monza guys such as roof rail seals, glass run, cowl seal, hatch seal, window sweeps, hinge pin/bushing kit, hatch pins, hood bumper kit as well as just a lot of those little hard to find parts. I have been thinking about what else we could use and one of the parts that I know have always been hard to find are the front turn signal assemblies for the 4 headlight Monza, Skyhawk and Starfire. So, I have discussed this with Wayne and we are going to give them a try and see what we can do. If this project works out we will make them available in both clear and amber lenses for the different models. However, this is a pretty big endeavor since these differ quite a bit from the Vega lense. The Monza ones are a complete assembly including the housing and the lense bonded together vs the simple Vega screw on lense. The other major difference is the Monza requires a chrome finish on the interior of the housing which makes the entire process more complicated and costly. I have been working on two assemblies for Wayne to use as molds and have been trying to perfect them as much as possible before I send them to him. Here is where all of you come in, we are trying to determine how much SERIOUS interest there would be in making these front turn signals. Is this something a lot people would be interested in? It's a big commitment to make these and to be honest if there is not enough interest it may not happen. If anyone is not aware, the side markers and lenses for Vega are absolutely beautiful, Wayne is a perfectionist and I would not be working with him if he wasn't. So, the question is, who would be interested in new front turn signal lense assemblies for the 4 headlight Monza, Skyhawk and Starfire's? Unfortunately I do not have a cost yet, I know it's hard to answer without knowing the cost but we just don't know yet. The Vega ones are $150pr, these would surely be a bit more but we are trying to keep them reasonable but just understand the process to make the housing with the chrome finish (not just painted silver) and lense and assemble them is what is required to make a quality part. So let me know your thoughts so we can determine if this is a "go" or not. cjbiagi@yahoo.com
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Re: Testing waters...Monza turn signal assemblies

Postby jim327monza » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:13 pm

I would definitely be interested in a set. 1976 monza 2+2 clear lens with amber Bulb. I am not opposed to going to an amber lens to reduce the number of set up's that would be necessary. Do you have any form of a catalog. I run into a few Vega/Monza folks at the shows i go to. would be a nice resource to refer them to.
Thanks, Jim Hutto
jim327monza

Postby Monza Harry » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:24 pm

Clyde I need only one side, (right side I believe), as I purchased a NOS one through you. If this is going to be $300 or less that would be almost definitely based on timing if this is offset to my bouts of pennilessness (LOL). A vacuum metalizing option for you two, I know someone that has used them and was very happy.
https://www.vacuumorna-metal.com/
Harry P.S. I'll check which side I definitely need shortly. Thanx again for your H-Body persistence. White BTW.
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:30 pm

Color choice shouldn't be a issue, if we go through with this they will be available in clear and amber. Interest so far seems decent, especially considering we don't have a price determined. It should be reasonable all things considered but of course that is a relative term I suppose. As we get more into it we will know more and of course we'll have pictures for everyone to see. These wouldn't be available until spring so it gives you time to save up a bit. LOL
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Diesel Dan » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:26 pm

I think it's a great idea except for the fact I don't have 4 light cars, even the olds is a 2 light.
Probably going to be a slow burn type of product where it'll take time for people to be aware of them and realize it is worth the money to finally get some new parts H-body specific.

Still say we need to just contract with this guy. :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjeSfKMiBP4
1980 Monza Town Coupe
5.0L/auto
Diesel Dan

Postby 1976hawk » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:18 pm

I'd be interested in amber, but clear would also be fine.
1976hawk

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:12 pm

Update on 4 headlight Monza/Skyhawk/Starfire turn signals.... there seems to be enough interest to make this worthwhile. I have sent a pair of turn signal assemblies to Wayne for his analysis. I separated the lense from the housings and perfected them to the best of my ability. I think they came out very good and hopefully they will make excellent molds for the process. Wayne may do some final finessing but at least he has something solid to work with. A lot of sanding, filling, priming has been repeated over and over to get to this point so it's a good start. It's one step closer.......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby rpoz-29 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:48 am

I could use some of the Vega parts. Where do I find you guys?
rpoz-29

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:47 pm

I am on the Facebook H body pages including VegaNation, Monza Madness, Monza restoration, etc. Best way to get in touch with me is email cjbiagi@yahoo.com
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:06 pm

The Monza, Skyhawk, Starfire parking lamps are proceeding nicely. The housing and lense casting has been figured out. The next step will be the chrome process for the inside of the housing. These are still prototypes...... click on the pic to see the entire image. I don't know why it came out so big LOL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:10 pm

Front image....... again, this is just a prototype, not the finished product.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Return to General Discussion