IRON RESURRECTION

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

IRON RESURRECTION

Postby vegastre » Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:14 pm

Motor Trend's "Iron Resurrection" show featuring the Martin Brothers From Dallas are building/built a full tilt race 72 Vega Wagon. Classic 70's Blower and Scoop design. The cool part is they chopped 6" out of the top with a drag race suspension to die far.

The Martin Brothers or more specific Joe Martin is a Motorcycle builder legend in Texas and beyond. The show has had a rough time of it with employees coming and going at random. His builds for customers who have the cash get some pretty neat cars except IMHO each build has little commonality of style like Foos and Kindig. Still very entertaining show and Hey! its a Vega.
Phil Kennedy~
72 Chevrolet Vega GT Hatchback
75 Pontiac Astre SJ Safari Wagon
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Re: IRON RESURRECTION

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:31 pm

Entertaining but in all reality there is very little "Vega" left. Pretty much everything was cut out except the outer shell. Still cool, but it would be nice to see something a little more what the average guy could do.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby vegastre » Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:36 am

All good points...
Oddly enough Clyde, when reality TV started to become popular there were several very good car shows which did exactly that. They would rebuild Muscle cars of the 60's and such. Very entertaining but have now morphed into high dollar Bespoke one off creations loosely based on legendary Vintage cars and trucks. I give you Dave Kindig and "Bitchin' Rides" A show I use to hate but I now rather enjoy watching. Don't ask me why, I guess it just grows on you.
Phil Kennedy~
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:52 pm

I think Kindigit probably builds the nicest cars out there. Admittedly these are high dollar showcars for the most part, but it;s interesting to see the design that goes into them.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby vegastre » Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:54 am

I hear ya'
The crazy part about that is Bodywork is Boring, very boring yet Dave's cast of characters make Bodywork...ok, "Fabricators" look very enjoyable to watch. We don't see the little Minons's who clock in at 6am and "Sand" all day long. The bigger point, I never thought that welding could be so entertaining. Of course it's scripted but it has a good vibe based on character driven shows. Kevin or Kevdog use to really irritate me, not so much anymore.

Setting the show to the side, Kindig's creations are purposely cutting edge and exceptional statements on Hot Rodding.
Phil Kennedy~
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:02 am

Yes, while most of us can't afford a car like that, sometimes you can get small inspirations to use on your own car. Much can be learned by just paying attention to small details. That is something I have tried to do on my car for decades, just look at all the little things can be made to look better. There are alot of things on my car that most people never realize have been worked on, especially under the hood in the engine compartment. Smoothing the wheelwells, firewall, cleaning up all the excess seam sealer are all things that you don't actually realize were done but it makes a huge difference on the overall appearance. Sometimes it's not what you see, it's what you don't see.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby vegastre » Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:32 pm

Great observation,
When I go to car cruises I look for the details on other cars, especially when self judging. I have a tendency to hide my details under the hood so that's what I look for. My Buddy when he shows his Mustang he listed all the details on his show board. It works because he has a lot of first places.

Ya. inspiration is where you find it. Cutting corners on bodywork is going to be hard to do after watching these shows. You're detailing has not been lost on me. I have refereed to you as the detail king of H-Bodies. I was fascinated by one of you're posts when you were telling about how you stored you're car for the winter. In Texas we don't have that problem. I store the SJ under a shade tree, I jest, I jest.
Phil Kennedy~
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:40 pm

I have shown my car since 1993 and ended up becoming a judge for a couple different showcar companies for almost 20 years. I learned a lot doing that and applied much of what I learned to my own car.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:50 pm

Engine pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby vegastre » Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:12 am

Sweet,
As I mentioned "The Detail King" I very much enjoy how well your car blends. That is the chrome blends well with the understated gray. No out of place color that sticks out like a sore thumb. On the flow chart I give it a 10! I dare say over the years I have watched you build that Monza.

Have you ever been to SEMA in Vegas? I have twice and each time I was just blown away with the experience which leads me to the 2021 SEMA . I offer up the Chip Foose Experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PhVbvTzuM0
Phil Kennedy~
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:47 pm

No, never been to SEMA, been to many indoor shows over the years though. You are correct, a car should have a theme that carries through. Chrome, polished aluminum go very well with a gray body and of course burgundy interior (actually oxblood) goes well with gray. Engine color of course has to be Chevy orange for that little bit of contrast LOL
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Monza Harry » Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:35 pm

I mentioned that a while back: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36889&start=15#p282187 and I just seen this past week Danny Coker pull up in his Excalibur on Counting Cars and it looks like his has 1st Gen Vega tail-lights. Anybody else know if they all came as such or if his has been "Counted" LOL! Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to General Discussion