Accurate water temp gauge

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Accurate water temp gauge

Postby Wizeguyrc » Mon May 02, 2022 4:31 pm

Has anyone here done a comparison between a GT water temp gauge and something after market?
The reason I ask is because my GT gauge shows I’m running 195-210 with the electric fans running all the time. But the car shows no signs of pushing water out to the over flow…(other than just normal expansion). All this is while cruising down the road with a 4.56 rear gear. Making me believe this thing may get hot in traffic.
I’m curious if my gauge could be a little misleading. Really don’t want to add after market gauges if I can get around it.
Wizeguyrc

Re: Accurate water temp gauge

Postby classic_cruiser » Mon May 02, 2022 9:54 pm

I’ve used one of those point and shoot infrared thermometers to compare to the gauge temp over various temperature points. Take the reading near where the gauge temp probe is for comparison.
They are handy too for checking inlet and outlet radiator temps as well!
1980 Pontiac Sunbird, 2.5L Notchback Coupe
1979 Pontiac Sunbird with transplanted Monza 305, notchback coupe
classic_cruiser

Postby Wizeguyrc » Mon May 09, 2022 8:58 am

I used the temperature laser and found that my gauge is way off. When the gauge is showing 210, the sending unit reads around 160. Same goes for the radiator, hoses, etc. I let the engine get up to 240 and the electric fans finally kicked on. The sending unit for the fans is designed to come on at 195.
Does anyone know of a proper part number for a sending unit for the GT gauge? Apparently the one I purchased is way off.
Wizeguyrc

Postby monzaaddict » Mon May 09, 2022 11:13 pm

monzaaddict

Postby monzaaddict » Tue May 10, 2022 2:26 am

They have senders with other terminal connections.
Temperature Sending Units (Accurate Replacements)
Temperature Sending Units
Temperature Sending Unit Examples
(click to enlarge)
Is your car running too hot? Maybe your temperature gauge is not telling you the truth. Most cars have had their temperature sending unit replaced with a GM/Delco or an auto part's store replacement temperature sending unit that do not produce an accurate gauge reading in vintage cars. This may be your problem! Sending units from those locations are only a generic replacements; often requiring a new, matching gauge or re-calibration of your original gauge.

Finally, accurate temperature sending units for many Chevrolet, Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac & Cadillac vehicles. Months of research were devoted to provide our customers with sending units that have the original-type terminal connection and resistance (thermistor); resulting in an accurate gauge reading. They screw into the original size 1/2" x 14 N.P.T.F. pipe thread-size hole (not the smaller 3/8" hole).

Note: The terminal connections on all our sending units are exactly as-original. Through the years, the mating terminal & connector on your wiring harness may have been changed by a previous owner. This was not uncommon. This change was most likely made in order to try different sending units when the "exact replacement" unit didn't work or was not available.

If your wiring harness had been modified from original, we may offer replacement Temperature Sending Unit Lead Repair Kits. (See our “ Repair Components ” section of our catalog.)

PRICE and BUY electrical devices for your specific vehicle.
monzaaddict

Postby Wizeguyrc » Tue May 10, 2022 1:54 pm

Thanks for the link. I’ll get one ordered.
Yes, the gauge is reading wrong. The car isn’t running hot.
Wizeguyrc

Postby Wizeguyrc » Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:06 pm

After installing the recommended sending unit, the gauge reads accurate now.
Thanks for the advice.
Wizeguyrc

Return to General Discussion