Reassembling 75 Starfire Dash - Mystery Light

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Reassembling 75 Starfire Dash - Mystery Light

Postby olds70supreme » Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:16 pm

Hello,
I've double checked vs the factory service manual and I've accounted for all of the dash lights listed (illumination, idiot lights, blinkers, brights, etc...), but there is one light still not installed. I cannot find where it belongs. The wires come out of the main harness and appear to have gone over to the right side of instrument panel. Both wires to the light are yellow w/ no stripes.

Additionally, there is a factory connector attached to the main harness under the between the steering column and fuse box that is flat, has three "prongs", and has yellow and yellow w/ black striped wires coming from it. I don't see anything to hook back up to it, but the dash has been out of the car for the better part of 5 years so I don't trust my memory.

Any help on what either of these could be is appreciated.
olds70supreme

1975 Oldsmobile Starfire

Re: Reassembling 75 Starfire Dash - Mystery Light

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:39 pm

Looks like the yellow wire goes to the seat belt light..........another possibility is it goes to the radio.
Can you take a picture of the other connector?
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby olds70supreme » Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:07 am

I untaped the mystery connector from the main harness and discovered that while the plastic connector body has room for three connections, only the outer two are used. One side has two yellow w/ black white stripe wires, and the other has two yellow wires. This matches up w/ the seatbelt warning buzzer in the wiring diagram. I definitely don't know what the buzzer looks like, and do not believe I have it. I'm not 100% sure I want it either :D

There is a similar connector loose directly below that has white and brown wires on one terminal, and black on another. No luck finding this one on the wiring diagram yet...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_O8J2c ... sp=sharing

The seatbelt warning lamp is yellow and yellow w/ black stripes - that one is in its place. There is still the mystery light, which I mistakenly thought had two yellow wires going to it. It actually has one yellow, one black. It has a blue tag on the wiring near the light socket that says "FR", if that means anything. This is separate from the yellow wire that is part of the radio harness (which has black/gray/yellow).
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZpM3jW ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZsvjdD ... sp=sharing
olds70supreme

1975 Oldsmobile Starfire

Postby Monza Harry » Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:03 pm

I don't remember the wire colours but there is a light over the heater A/C controls, two wires with a "quarter turn socket that takes a 168/194 bulb socket. I'm thinking 1 black 1 grey, IIRC but it has been a real long time. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:59 pm

Yellow/black/gray goes to radio
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:00 pm

Yellow/black/gray goes to radio
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby monzaaddict » Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:39 am

it is part of the 75 seat belt interlock system (can't start car unless seatbelts are locked with passengers in front seats) Your car likely did not come with it so the connector is just taped to harness. Mine is the same way on the car that does not have the seat belt interlock.
monzaaddict

Postby olds70supreme » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:13 pm

Thanks, makes me feel better about putting the dash back together w/o having to find out the hard way that it has to come back apart because something doesn't work. :th:
olds70supreme

1975 Oldsmobile Starfire

Return to General Discussion