installing new hammer shifter

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

installing new hammer shifter

Postby chevyart » Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:56 am

going to install a new B and M Hammer rachett shifter in my 75 vega. the stock shifter is still in in place in the car. have not looked under the shifter console to see what the wiring setup is; just dont know what i will see as far as the wiring goes. i will need to install a new neutral safety switch and probably a new backup light switch. can anyone tell me what i will find under the console and how i will use the stock wiring to the new shifter switches.. i have wired 2 different race cars from scratch(no wiring at all) and had no problems, but i just dont know if my new wiring project will be real easy or real hard. i guess i will be looking for the hot wire to the starter and some wires for the backup lights. thanks art
chevyart

Re: installing new hammer shifter

Postby cosvega76 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:35 am

Art,

If you still have carpet in the car, and it was an automatic trans, the harness for the backup light and the neutral safety switch should run under the carpet going back to the factory shifter. The purple and purple with white stripe wires are the neutral safety switch, just attach one of each to each side of the neutral safety switch on the new shifter. There should be pink and light green wires for the backup light, attach those to either side of the backup light switch.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Re: installing new hammer shifter

Postby chevyart » Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:56 pm

chuck than k you very much. that is exactly what i wanted to hear. car still has the stock carpet and factory shifter. i thought i was going to have a nightmare scenario finding and hooking up wires. Art in NY
chevyart

Return to General Discussion