Need Help with Coil Spring Install

Moderator: Moderators

Need Help with Coil Spring Install

Postby fas141 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:24 am

Rebuilding the front suspension on my 77 factory V8 Monza. I just can't get the coil springs in. I am using the "Secret" GM tip of running a coil spring compressor through the shock hole and to inside the coil spring (much easier and better results this way for sure) Problem is I just can't get the back of the lower coil to make it over the back lip of the LCA and seat. My question is the factory hole in the bottom of the LCA: Does the beginning of the bottom of the coil spring go there or 180 degrees to the other side? I am putting the coil spring in that way (beginning of coil on the hole) but I think I might be able to get the coil to slide over the lip of the LCA if I spin it 180 degrees.. I just do not want to put the coils in backwards and have sitting/height issues like I have read before putting coils in wrong. Need help ASAP. Thanks!
Last edited by fas141 on Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fas141

Re: Need Help with Coil Spring Install - In Garage Now

Postby fas141 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:53 pm

Well I got the back part of the lower spring to slip over the coil based on a tip here.. Not using a PS shaft, but used a long pry bar to lift the back of the coil and it slipped into place. :th:
fas141

Re: Need Help with Coil Spring Install

Postby cjbiagi » Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:54 pm

I am trying to remember but I think the top of the coil spring indexes on the upper control arm.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Re: Need Help with Coil Spring Install

Postby fas141 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:32 am

Interesting enough, when I put them in I was able to position the upper to fit into place so I think you may be right. I twisted the coil when I put it in upper first and they seated. :th:
fas141

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech