Manual steering gear box rebuild kit

Moderator: Moderators

Manual steering gear box rebuild kit

Postby 74vegwag » Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:39 am

Does anyone know where I can find a rebuild kit for a manual Vega (74) steering box. I want to refurbish the one I have, but I've had no luck w/ trying to find one. At the very least, I need to find a set (pair) of worm shaft bearings. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Dan
74vegwag

Re: Manual steering gear box rebuild kit

Postby gt350fme » Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:04 pm

Well, I don’t believe there is a kit for that steering box, you may be able to find the parts but won’t be easy.
How about a brand new one, these are popular with custom builders and those looking for a lightweight box, summit racing, eBay, jegs, and even Amazon sell these, https://www.amazon.com/Manual-Steering- ... 040&sr=1-9, like 152.00 on Amazon, more for others.
The gears on your old on are likely worn anyway.
Be aware of the pitman and steering input shaft sizes, and housing clocking that need to match the stock unit and you be good.
Food for thought, hope this helps.
I have a new one bought from eBay and have no regrets.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1964 Chevy panel K30
1973 GT Vega Hatchback
1977 Chevy K20
1984 944 porsche
1992 Lexus SC 400
gt350fme

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby 74vegwag » Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:44 pm

I had feeling I'd have an easier time trying to find a unicorn, rather than a rebuild kit, but I thought to at least give it try. Everything on the inside is in surprisingly good shape. The only problem appears to be that one of the worm shaft bearing cages has one ball that is flattened, but the others are in good shape. I 'm going to assume the previous owner didn't know the procedure for adjusting the play.

However, thanks for the info.
74vegwag

Postby gt350fme » Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:58 am

The Vega steering box is that golden unicorn part that is used with custom builders etc, who would think it but it’s so, but comes in different variations.
Just recalled along with picking the correct spline shaft sizes etc, the input shaft has reliefs and a clocking slot cut in it for the stock rag joint that I had to cut into my input shaft to make it work so beware and look for that, like in the pic you can see it’s not just a straight spline.
I later upgraded to a heavy duty steering knuckle that slipped onto that input shaft needing no shaft relief modification.
The box pictured from Amazon looks like it’s correct for the Vega.
1964 Chevy panel K30
1973 GT Vega Hatchback
1977 Chevy K20
1984 944 porsche
1992 Lexus SC 400
gt350fme

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech