76 monza hood removal

Moderator: Moderators

76 monza hood removal

Postby jim327monza » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:44 pm

I need to remove the hood on my 76 2+2 prior to pulling the 262 for replacement with the 327. It appears that the hood is held in place by 2 bolts on either side of body. Do the springs come out with the hood? is it necessary to remove any other body panels to get the hood off?
Thanks Jim H
jim327monza

Re: 76 monza hood removal

Postby Monza Harry » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:39 pm

Jim you should be able to lift the hood off with a good helper. Yes there are only 4 bolts [2/side] but you will have to rotate the hood towards the windshield some to get the pivot points out from under the cowl [which is welded on so it doesn't really come off]. I don't remember how much I had to "rotate" the hood, it has been a number of years since I last did one. There shouldn't be any springs on the Monza [or friends] hood or hatch if stock. I hope that gives you the needed info to tackle your mission. Don't pull all the bolts without some protection for the hood/cowl area as the hood will likely drop down when the last bolt on each side is pulled. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Re: 76 monza hood removal

Postby jim327monza » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:25 pm

Old age is a terrible thing to do to a mind! As I was trying to figure out how to remove the hood I was thinking That the lift springs were in that recess where the hood hinges are ! How many times have I opened the hood and put the prop rod in place? can't count that high. Whet the ________ was I thinking.
Thanks Harry!! Jim H.
jim327monza

Return to Bodywork and Accident Repair