Rarest Pontiac Astre wagon

Research results, details, and so on

Moderator: Moderators

Rarest Pontiac Astre wagon

Postby flyingdragracer » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:43 pm

Re: 1977 Pontiac Astre Wagon Formula?

Postby flyingdragracer ยป Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:39 pm
Hello I have acquired the Astre wagon that Junkiejoe originally posted in the general discussion based on the question is the Astre wagon he purchased a true Formula. No it doesn't have the 66 code on trim tag but it does have every option that the Formula had including the Chrome Valve cover and plastic Formula air cleaner cap. It was suggested that maybe someone removed the parts from a wrecked Formula etc. I have located the build sheet as it was found on top of the gas tank when replacing the rubber fuel lines.
The car was a special order and delivered to the customer in South Carolina with all of the Formula options minus the wind deflector. The build sheet was completely intact and legible. I took many pictures prior to attempting removal of which 20 percent would not lift from the area it had been sandwiched between the tank and body.

I have no idea what I should do with this car as I bought it with the intention of removing the drivers door for use on another wagon project. However since I went to the trouble to get it running to test the 5 speed transmission for possible use in my other project as well. I find the car runs exceptionally well and everything mechanical with exception to the brakes works great.
I am rebuilding the brakes and have replaced the rear main seal as it was leaking badly. My current intention is to get it into a solid driver status and offer it for sale based on the fact it is likely the rarest of all Vega/Astre wagons in existence. If anybody in the Pontiac world cares about saving and fully restoring it then wonderful another one saved from the crusher. Other wise I may proceed with the disassembly of it and use the parts on my 74 Vega wagon.

Overall the car is very solid with minor rust in the spare tire well and the opposite rear corner certainly not to far gone to repair. Other wise she seems solid, All glass is good to perfect condition as well as the front and rear seats are in exceptional good condition. There is seriously nothing keeping this car from being a survivor/daily driver to being a subject for a worthy restoration. If anybody has any ideas please let me know.
flyingdragracer

Re: Rarest Pontiac Astre wagon

Postby vegastre » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:36 am

I'm a Pontiac guy...

Interesting post...
If you still have this car there is a chance I might be interested in buying the car if you still have this wagon for sale. My interest is based mostly on the condition of the car. I don't need another ragged out, ready for the crusher so called rare dead survivor sitting in my back yard. I am looking for a decent "running" mostly stock H-Body. Cleaner the better but I certainly will take note these cars are 40+ of age.
Phil Kennedy~
72 Chevrolet Vega GT Hatchback
75 Pontiac Astre SJ Safari Wagon
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Return to Factory Original Purist