V-6 rear main seal

Moderator: Moderators

V-6 rear main seal

Postby monzacoupe » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:43 pm

I think my rear main seal is leaking...the symptoms: Drips of oil everywhere I park
Oil spray from the oil pan all the way back to the rear axel
Is this something a guy could change in his garage with some jack stands, an OK set of wrenches, a new box of silly putty and enough time? Or am I needing to cough up the $800-1000 the interweb is telling me it will cost?

Thanks

Rick
monzacoupe

1980 Chevrolet Monza Coupe

Re: V-6 rear main seal

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:38 am

Edit
Last edited by cjbiagi on Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:41 am

It could also be the oil pan leaking or a leak from further up running down the back of the block. Don't jump to conclusions without thoroughly checking it out. I assume it is similar to a V8, It can be changed at home if you have the skillset. You will need to pull the oil pan and remove the rear main bearing cap (again, assuming it is like a V8) and work the top half of the seal out of the block. Do some research on changing it, lot of info and you tube videos on it.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby dindin » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:23 pm

The best way to prove that you’ve got a rear main seal leak is the check if the engine side of the flexplate or flywheel is oily. If the rear main seal is leaking on your engine it will drip oil onto the flexplate or flywheel and sling oil around the bellhousing. Most engines have an inspection cover in the bellhousing the allow you to check for this..

Al
dindin

Postby Monza Harry » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:54 pm

Rick, I would also check the front seal of the transmission, and the way to remove the upper rear seal as Clyde spoke of is commonly referred to as a "Sneaky Pete"
As for the detective work on the front tranny seal it will show the opposite as Dindin said, so engine seal will be wet on the front of flex plate, tranny will be the rear of the flex plate, maybe, once it starts slinging around it can drip and then be re-slung ending up any where. but with these things in mind and some more detective work, ie; does it appear/smell like motor oil or trans fluid. These things and the other idea's to follow should get you started on the right path. Harry
https://www.penntoolco.com/LS27000/?gcl ... HUQAvD_BwE Quality brand too for pretty cheap US but Fart Source or Crappy tire should be able to set you up on the northern half of the continent
Amazon.ca: https://www.amazon.ca/Lisle-27000-Sneak ... B0002SRCJW
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby monzacoupe » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:17 pm

Thanks Harry et. al.!!

Rick
monzacoupe

Postby BrodyRX » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:31 am

dindin wrote:The best way to prove that you’ve got a rear main seal leak is the check if the engine side of the flexplate or flywheel is oily. If the rear main seal is leaking on your engine it will drip oil onto the flexplate or flywheel and sling oil around the bellhousing. Most engines have an inspection cover in the bellhousing the allow you to check for this..

Al

We will try this when we start working on the Monza. Got to finish installing the suspension and skid plates from 4Wheelonline onto the Wrangler before we can clear the garage and take her in. It got mysterious oil dip and it seems consistent.
BrodyRX

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:43 am

~...is commonly referred to as a "Sneaky Pete"
~ However, in pool halls...a "Sneaky Pete" is a 2 piece custom pool cue made to look like a one piece bar cue....
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
1974 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback
1982 Chevy S-10 longbed 2.8v6 A/C
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Black
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Aero-Blue
2008 Dodge Ram Longbed, Brilliant Crystal Pearl Black
74_Vega_GT

Postby cammerjeff » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:41 am

Also if it is a Buick V6 check and make sure it isn't simple things like the valve covers leaking and dripping down. Or what I have found on most Buick V6 oil leaks to be related to the front timing cover or oil pan leaks, I even had one that was leaking out of the oil pressure sender (idiot light style) not the threads the sender screws into, but leaking through the center of the sender itself. Also located on the front cover. Also the front main oil seal is a common leak point.

I have found that Buick V6 Engines do a great job of rust proofing the floor boards of any car they are in!

It could still be the rear main seal but I have not seen that as often as the other leak prone areas.

Good Luck I hope it is something simpler than the rear main seal.
Jeff R

1971 Catalina Freeway Enforcer
77 Astre Formula, some day soon powered by a 215 Buick V-8
1973 4-speed Lemans Safari STOCK!!!!! 1978 Catalina Safari
2006 Mallet Solstice, 6.0 LS2, 6-speed manual
2009 Solstice Coupe, 2.4, 5-speed Manual
cammerjeff

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Safari Wagon

Postby monzacoupe » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:17 am

Looking into this further, is there a difference in using a rope seal or a rubber seal? is one a better choice than the other?

Rick
monzacoupe

Postby cosvega76 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:12 am

Rubber seal, definitely, if it's available! Easier to install, seals better, lasts longer.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby monzaaddict » Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:27 pm

Take the inspection cover off bellhousing and look if there is oil where rear main seal is on crank flange. If not, it could be the side seals for main cap. I did this on a Vega engine a few months ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0an5H4iKps&t=128s
monzaaddict

Postby monzacoupe » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:21 pm

I've added fluorescent dye to the oil and traced the leak to either the back of the oil pan or the rear of the engine, no oil visible up high. There was quite a bit of oil dripping from both sides of the flywheel inspection cover(ground side/flywheel side) but the flywheel itself was dry, would a leaking rear main seal cause oil to get on the flywheel or not? Oil pan gasket is on the way and I've got a rear main gasket standing by, should I just go ahead and replace the main while I've got the oil pan off?
monzacoupe

Postby monzaaddict » Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:08 pm

again, the rear main cap side seals are my guess https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0an5H4iKps
monzaaddict

Return to Engine Tech