Small block 427 or 434

Moderator: Moderators

Small block 427 or 434

Postby 75Monz » Wed May 15, 2019 6:43 pm

So I started seriously thinking of what motor to build for my 75 Towne Coupe and immediately ran into a question. I was thinking of doing a 406 0.030 bored 509 casting, but getting harder to find a good block, so started looking at aftermarket blocks. Really interested in either a dart 427 or 434 short block, would match up great to a set of Iron eagle 230cc 2.08's I've had stashed away with a good roller Comp cam. Question I'm wondering with any of these combo's is would I be able to set up a cooling system that would keep it in the green on the street? This would be mostly a street car because I don't plan on doing a cage of any sort, just suspension mods. Want to keep it as stock looking as I can from the outside.
Some people are like slinkies. They serve absolutely no useful purpose, but still put a smile on your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.
75Monz

Re: Small block 427 or 434

Postby Monza Harry » Thu May 16, 2019 6:49 pm

75Monz, my younger brother constantly pushed me that a 350 made no sense and that I should do a 383. I kept telling him that a decent 350 has more than enough torque/power to destroy a stock 4 cylinder unibody [remember that these started there and the "BIGGEST" V8 was 140HP], I like you want mine to look mostly stock and without some serious tire and matching chassis work, that would be a waste, add to this the low profile hood and no room for exhaust [if we keep the stock looking thing going], 350 cubes is way past reasonable, so I feel you will need to re-define your project with either of those [AWESOME] power plants. 427"+ will need 1.75" Dia. (@32>38"Lg.) header tubes [move steering or Hooker through the fender headers, 1 tube ea. side, which will only allow "Skinnies up front] to meet the 1HP/Cube that either of those will easily handle [and 600HP isn't even a stretch but will mean bigger tubes]. Oh and the mid-rise compromised intake [4"+ cowl or bigger snorkel]to fully wake those up engines up. Both of those things will detract from your "Stock" approach. Just some concerns I thought I should share. I want 425HP and I'll likely go with the articulated steering shaft and lots of hidden structure added to the chassis, for the mostly "stockish" look and a custom intake which will cost HP and drivability. Harry P.S. Practical doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't we all want things that are bad for us. :twisted: :D
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Re: Small block 427 or 434

Postby 75Monz » Thu May 16, 2019 7:36 pm

Thanks for the input Harry. Having a hard time trying to get focus on this project because I want "close to stock" look, but have a history of constantly going overboard. I can build stock and I've built a few tube cars, but finding the middle ground is about driving me nuts, lol. Suspension I have a pretty good idea on, going s-10 spindle in the front, dual piston calipers, welding all the structure better, adding some bracing across the top where I can fit it, bigger sway bar (working on what may work) and maybe something like a Z car rack. Back going with the adjustable spohn set up, a narrowed strange 12 bolt for an F body and weld the needed brackets on, want to do a TKO 5 speed for F body and modify a Spohn F body adjustable torque arm to fit, then connect front to back with a low profile weld in connector that I got plans from someone awhile ago for. This is why I'm looking at getting a rotisserie, car will be upside down for months with what I want to do underneath.
Maybe going overboard, but I want a healthy motor and a stick to row, and even the stock 350 has put pains on the body as you mentioned, so trying to think it all through so there is no having to constantly fix broken stuff. Motor is totally up in the air on what to do, never built a big cube small block before is what started me on this idea. Another option I might try is I have a DZ302 stashed that I've hauled around for 25 years, a bit of reworking for the street and would make a 7,500 redline screamer. Not a lot of torque or bottom end, but man did it sound good.
Jeremy
Some people are like slinkies. They serve absolutely no useful purpose, but still put a smile on your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.
75Monz

Return to Engine Tech