Turbo V6 install

Moderator: Moderators

Turbo V6 install

Postby mrj52 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:24 am

I'm putting the v6 back into my Skyhawk. I have a factory 79 turbo setup and would like to know if it will fit under the stock hood. My measurements show it going to be close. Any insight and opinions would be appreciated
1977 Buick Skyhawk-----Under modification
mrj52

1977 Buick Skyhawk

Re: Turbo V6 install

Postby TowPro » Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:32 pm

I know this is real late, but I had a v6 turbo setup from around the same era, the draw through carb where the turbo was after the carb.
I did it in a 76 Monza 2x2 and I had to cut the hood for clearance where the carb inlet tube stuck out around 2" (kind of like a shaker hood scope that was off center if I recall).
This was around 1987 when I did this.
My donor motor was a Turbo motor from around the late 70's, early 80's buick with 4 barrel card. It was an even fire (offset rod journal ) and the motor was shot with like 3/4" of crank end play (which came out in 78 I think)
https://youtu.be/uxT33AYijZE
so I took a odd fire engine (common rod journal) and put the 1979 turbo heads and top end on the older v6.
I also put a 5 speed out of the monza 2x2 behind the V6. I am pretty sure I used the Monza 4 cylinder flywheel and clutch, but had to get a buddy to turn a pilot pushing for me because that V6 never came with a manual trans.

when it was all said and done, back in the late 80's the 5.0 mustangs were king, and I used to go out looking for them :). it was a fun car but it scared the hell out of my girl friend (who now is my wife for over 30 years).
TowPro

Postby mrj52 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:50 am

That's for the insight, I really wanted everything under the stock hood. I have a draw thru system with the stock q jet. Thinking of extending the intake plenum but I'm concerned about throttle delay. After all the thinking I am going to do the turbo setup mainly because its different and a challenge. Again, thanks.
1977 Buick Skyhawk-----Under modification
mrj52

1977 Buick Skyhawk

Postby TowPro » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:34 am

I also ran that computer that came with it. i seem to recall it was to stop detonation?
would love to see pictures. :)
TowPro

Return to Engine Tech