FrankenVega / FrankenCosworth

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: FrankenVega / FrankenCosworth

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:01 pm

~ Attempting to remove the balancer without removing the radiator , drove 50 miles to get the correct puller...my crowsfoot puller wouldn't work.
~ Balancer is seized to the crank...plastic timing cover on the Vortec 4.3...a torch may be the only way...this sux.
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
1974 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback
1982 Chevy S-10 longbed 2.8v6 A/C
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Black
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Aero-Blue
2008 Dodge Ram Longbed, Brilliant Crystal Pearl Black
74_Vega_GT

Postby hammerdown7 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:37 pm

I have used Aero Kroil spray in the past, works the best of any I have used.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:18 am

Thanks Dick,
~ The motor kept turning...wedged a screwdriver between the starter and flywheel and torqued on the front bolt, she finally started moving. Got it off, replaced the balancer. The rubber had slipped on the one that was on it. I think it was new also. Got it all back together and cranked it up to verify .." no wobble"
~ Need shims for the starter...now the e-fan isn't energizing...have to check out why.
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:46 am

~ Starter not shimmed properly or backfire during cranking caused 3 separate broken flywheel teeth....now the fun begins.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:05 am

~ Mistakes happen, No. 3 and No. 5 wires were mixed up causing cranking backfires which took out the 3 teeth on the flywheel.
~ The BOLTS supplied by JEGS with their high torque starter are NOT the same diameter bolts that GM used at the factory. Jegs bolts are a SLOPPY fit. Multiply that by (2) bolts and we have some serious fitment issues. Backfire caused a starter shift we suspect. We robbed a starter off of a V8 GM vortec, bolts included.....They have a knurled area on the bolt shank and fit tight in the starter. The stock starter would NOT fit due to an overhanging piece ( 1 inch) of the original Vega motor mount PLATE that interfered with the solenoid.
~ We used the GM bolts with the Jegs starter and straightened out the wiring issue. Although there are 3 teeth missing from the flywheel, we have encountered no issues while starting the engine due to a "dead spot". I understand that the starter pinion gear engages at least 2 teeth at a time, and no 2 consecutive teeth are missing which may explain that. We're going to stick with the snaggletooth flywheel until it becomes a problem or...if we can't get the hydraulic master for the throw out bearing to bleed , we may have to go into the tranny.
~ Final fittment of the AC ductwork and instrument / dash and dash pad should be next so we can get the steering column bolted up.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:36 am

~ Noticed a wobble in the harmonic balancer earlier and replaced it. No wobble now, however the serpantine wanted to walk off the pulley by one groove. I removed the pulley and used 3 washers to shim it forward. Belt has no issues now.
~ Started the car and tried to see if it would go into gear....not. The hydraulic throw out bearing is NOT doing its job and may need more shimming which means if we need to go into it, we will replace the flywheel at the same time. It did seem to bleed properly, but there was never much resistance at the pedal. I am told NOT to expect it to feel the same as a cable clutch. My '08 Dodge Ram has a hydraulic throw out and I assume the "feel" is mostly spring.
~ With the heater hose valves open, heater control calling for heat, blower blowing, I do not seem to be getting any heat. I am only getting forced air out of the defrost vents and not the occupants vents. Car was at full temp. I used a vacuum gauge at the vacuum ball where the line runs into the cabin and read good vacuum. I will go under the dash and check for vacuum at the slider control. and at the actuator if I can get to it.
~ Can't secure the dash until this is squared away. It's hanging from a bungee and the steering column is hanging...still.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Mon May 03, 2021 12:22 pm

~ Waiting on new vacuum vent coltroller valve/distributor, but I tried out the old part after tightening and lubricating and was sucessful at getting at least 2 of the doors to move. As redirected air moved to the center and driver side vent outlet, I was unable to get air to the passenger side.
~ Moving the cool/heat lever did not result in heat being blown. My heater hose valves are open but I have not verified that the heater control valve is operating. I cannot verify that the heater core is even heating...it aint leaking at least. I may have the heater hoses routed incorrectly. Pics below show how I used the top two ports of the water pump. I included a pic of the T-stat housing to show the pipe plugs that I might ought to be using. If someone would please advise on this issue it will be greatly appreciated........moving on..
~ The valves/rockers on the drivers side got revisited yesterday. No more tick tick ticking ...runs very smoothe. Found out this is a marine block Vortec which is why they left off the reluctor wheel from the crank causing the harmonic balancer to fit closer on the crank causing me to have to shim out the pulley so the belt wouldn't try to walk off of the front by one groove.
~ One pic shows the plate we fabricated to cover a port in the stock exhaust manifold....which is slightly leaking.
~ One pic of the mess ....soon ...this year I swear!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Thu May 06, 2021 8:43 am

~ Close but no cigar on the Corvette Vacuum Rotary vent control switch. It does have 9 hose nipples but they are oriented to the mounts differently. It may work in a pinch, but I found one New OEM old stock for the Sunbird and Skyhark up on eeeeebay. It will be here next week.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Sat May 08, 2021 9:43 am

~ While I am waiting on the part to arrive, I had almost forgotten to test out the windshield washer pump system. I did, and found the pump not pumping water, I primed it to no avail. I'll be removing that mechanism from the firewall today and re-visiting the pump mechanism.
~ Heater hoses are going to have to be re-routed. The two pipes on top of the water pump body are not where they need to be connected. The pipe on the passenger side closest to the inlet for the water pump will be my return from the heater core and the one on the right gets plugged off. The supply will come from an angled boss on the 2114 Eddie intake to the bottom of the heater core.
~ I intend to use the hand vacuum pump to try once again to bleed the hydraulic throw out bearing. We may not have shimmed it enough, the clutch will not disengage to put it in gear. If we have to go into it to shim it, we will replace the flywheel and its 3 broken teeth at the same time. Since the teeth are not consecutively missing, we have no cranking issues with a skreeching dead spot luckily.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Mon May 10, 2021 10:17 am

~ Piston body of washer pump has a crack and leaks water. I found one up on ROCKAUTO, it's on the way....16.00....Advance wants 75.00...get real!
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Wed May 12, 2021 8:37 am

~ Had to increase the "notch" in the upper left corner of the "modified" glove box to accommodate the vacuum actuator for that particular vent door. The notch is approx 1.5 in. of the entire corner of the box. This corner was pinching the vacuum line to the actuator. All good now. Vents are opening and closing properly now that the vacuum switch component and line pinch are squared away.
~ Whats next?....re-loom all the engine bay wiring then mount the dash I suppose and re-visit the bleed procedures for the hydraulic throw out bearing. Going to hate having to access it and add shims, if that's what it needs.
74_Vega_GT

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:45 am

~ Wire looming is done.
~ Bought the Klein Tools borescope and proceded to inspect the amount of movement at the TOB when clutch is depressed. After several bleed attempts I observed only 1/8 movement, should be almost 1/2. Observed that we used one shim. Doublechecked with Wilwood to make sure the application for this Speedway Motors Hydraulic throw out bearing were compatable. They say it is...
I doublechecked the actuating rod to the clutch pedal to make sure it was fully extended, it was, however I also noticed that the accelerator pedal and the clutch pedal are not at the same floor height.
The clutch pedal is soft down to the last 3 inches of travel before you feel any good resistance.
~ Refreshed driver side and passenger side sun visors. I may have to have the plastic swivel portion 3-D printed.
~ Located my lost windshield squirt tubes.....things get moved around over the years.
~ Found a second pair of new hatch supports...doooh..forgot that I had already bought them.
~ Wire wheeled the 140ci L4 and sprayed it down with WD and wrapped it in heavy plastic..its for sale.
74_Vega_GT

Postby Monza Harry » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:37 pm

74_Vega_GT, Dave's Vega Village has made some of the visor mounts you are in need of and offers them for sale, I've seen them on eBay. You can contact him directly as well, there is info on our board here somewhere, I'll poke around and see if I can find that and I'll edit it in here. He used a Fiberglass Resin Polyester if my memory is is correct. Harry
From eBay: https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... 000&_pgn=2
From Yahoo: https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrJ7F7 ... h_3.NIugo-
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:24 pm

I've got a set of these in my car, nice pieces

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/254901372936?ha ... SwAHFeCPc9
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:51 pm

~ Thanks Harry /Chris...Those are the ones in your pic..my pair are black..no biggie.. I stopped by a 3D print Design shop today and took the part with me. They were upfront on the price estimate and I soon realized that this was not the way to go. The driver side is interchangeable with the passenger side I believe...Yes? No? Both visors (black) are in great shape and lubricated however...the spring keeper on the end of the post was rusty and unsalvageable. Fastenall says they have something that is similar to the original keeper, so I'll drive and go see, if not, I'll consider a bailin wire McGuyver fix.
~ Still baffled as to why the pedal floor heights arent level with each other. Still bleeding the TOB
74_Vega_GT

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals