Is it worthy? 1979 Sunbird Coupe

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Is it worthy? 1979 Sunbird Coupe

Postby theraymondguy » Wed May 27, 2020 7:35 pm

Hello,

I came across a 1979 Sunbird for sale locally, I haven’t seen one of these things in 30 years.

This one is light blue on light blue, 3.8L, Auto showing 102K KM on the dial, has sat in the same spot in at least a year. Car is complete.

I’ve done some research, it seems parts are pretty hard to find. This would be my first full on restoration. I’m not a welder, I’m not a body man.

3.8L no start, cooling system loses pressure, no external leaks - oil level comes up after pressurizing cooling system.

Some brake fluid in reservoir
Trans fluid looks decent

The fenders have good sized holes, the doors are not blown out on the bottom but soon will be, the rockers and floors seem decent. The tail panel (Below tail lights) and rear inner fenders have some rot, trunk decent, battery hold down is a memory.

Carpet is shot, headliner sags, all glass is good, all seals rotten. Gas tank is missing, gauge indicates 3/4 full, haven’t confirmed.

It was painted in the past once, with the original colour showing through.

The asking price is... way too much at $2500 CDN. It’s a $1000 car at best imho.

Even at $1000, can I afford to buy parts to make it a fun Sunday car?
theraymondguy

Re: Is it worthy? 1979 Sunbird Coupe

Postby theraymondguy » Wed May 27, 2020 7:39 pm

Sorry, gas tank is not missing, but the cap has been replaced with a poor fitting lockable unit.
theraymondguy

Re: Is it worthy? 1979 Sunbird Coupe

Postby Chief_Runs_W_Coyotes » Wed May 27, 2020 8:57 pm

I recently purchased a 79 sunbird coupe myself, it sounds like the body condition is about the same as mine but the interior on mine sounds like it’s quite better. The one your looking at does have a better engine than mine... if you can get it running. Asking price for mine was 1900 USD but I got it for 1500. In its current state I wouldn’t pay more than $1200 USD but if you don’t have a friend who welds or you are adverse to learning and buying a welder I would check your local junkyards first. Body parts are nearly impossible to find here in Indy and the surrounding areas so my only solution is to weld it. End of the day it’s about what it means to you, for me it’s a mixture of nostalgia and a more pure driving experience than modern cars, and it’s also a bonding opportunity with my son. Best of luck to you!
1979 Pontiac Sunbird (currently undergoing restoration) with the old duke and a 4 speed
Chief_Runs_W_Coyotes

Return to Project Journals