How to install a Stewart Warner Speedometer?

Moderator: Moderators

How to install a Stewart Warner Speedometer?

Postby fas141 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:52 am

I created a custom gauge package for my Monza. All Stewart Warner gauges and it looks great. Problem is the factory Monza speedometer cable does not attach to the SW speedometer. Does anyone know how to go about getting it to attach/work? I thought maybe there would be an adapter but I could not find anything. Thanks for help.
fas141

Re: How to install a Stewart Warner Speedometer?

Postby cosvega76 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:15 am

Does the S-W speedo use a threaded connection? You could find a universal cable with a length close enough and the threaded nut. Or if the speedo is in the same location in the dash, there should be enough tension on the cable casing were you may be able to just link it up, and not worry about a solid connection.

I had a problem with my factory speedo in the El Camino. The factory connection uses the threaded nut, and when I had it tight the inner cable was a bit too long and made the speedo go crazy. I shortened up the inner cable a bit and didn't tighten the nut, it works fine now.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby fas141 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:55 pm

Thanks, I was hoping there was some sort of adapter but maybe just finding a different cable might be the way to go. The SW has a threaded output on it.
fas141

Postby fas141 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:40 pm

Well, thought I would add this.. I also love Mopars.. so... a speedometer cable from a 67 Coronet not only fit the 4-speed end in the Monza but the SW speedo.. AND.. the length was perfect and the Mopar grommet fit the firewall on the Monza. I could not believe it.. lol..
fas141

Postby cosvega76 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:33 am

:th:
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech