Welding on brackets

Moderator: Moderators

Welding on brackets

Postby rickhunter1max » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:08 pm

I'm just going to tack them on
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rickhunter1max

1971 Chevrolet Vega GT

Re: Welding on brackets

Postby rickhunter1max » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:11 pm

You can see how they all lineup
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rickhunter1max

1971 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby chevyart » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:33 pm

i think i would get a measurement from stock rear backing plate or any other flat spot to edge of bracket on each side of the car and go with that to tack them on. this insures that each wheel is out the same on each side. those are the most important brackets. same procedure would be done with a leaf spring car to mount spring perches. the measurement should be the exact same on each side. then i would do the same with the other brackets to get proper placement. centers f factory rears are usually offset about 1-11/2 inches to one side.(different axle and axle tube lengths). those rears in pics look different and centers could have different dimensions, which doesnt matter, but it would matter if you counted on them giving you accurate placement points for the new brackets.. that is the way i would do it. have done a bunch pf leaf spring perches over the years and this method always works.. factory pinion angle for stock vehicles is always had by welding the uppers brackets at a certain angle and are non adjustable. wouldnt need to be adjustable as the motor is installed a certain angle and doesnt move.. im pretty sure the lower brackets may need to be welded in at a certain position(angle) to give the lower control arms the right angle to work correctly. im sure other members will chime in to help you along with this project. good luck chevy art in NY
chevyart

Postby rickhunter1max » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:51 pm

I think I got it
rickhunter1max

1971 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby rickhunter1max » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:15 pm

Will try to fit it and mock it up
rickhunter1max

1971 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby macietw » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:16 pm

Thanks for you post! I'm currently doing this on my 71 wagon. I was wondering if you can tell me what angles you used for welding on you mounts, in relation to the pinion at 0°? Unfortunately, I don't have one to go off of. I did one about 10 years ago. Did you weld your lower control arm mounts on, level (or 0°) the same angle as the pinion? Also, spring pearchs and upper control arm brackets? Thanks, Todd
macietw

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech