Quarter Window Glass

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Quarter Window Glass

Postby GunsNCars » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:54 am

Anybody on here know the correct way to remove (without breaking) the quarter window glass on the hatch back? I recently bought another Spyder to part-out for myself and I want to keep all of the glass in case I need it someday. I have all of the exterior and interior trim pieces removed.
Edited: Second question regarding door glass... It appears at the moment that the regulator must come out with the glass. Is this correct? Thanks!
GunsNCars

Re: Quarter Window Glass

Postby sirrick4 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:20 pm

The only way that I found to do it that's safe is to use a long bladed craft knife and cut your way slowly around the sealant. You need a lot of care and patience. Swearing is ok as well
Rick ......1975 Monza 2+2
sirrick4

Postby Monza Harry » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:52 pm

sirrick4 wrote:The only way that I found to do it that's safe is to use a long bladed craft knife and cut your way slowly around the sealant. You need a lot of care and patience. Swearing is ok as well

Rick I found expletives were an absolute must! Just Sayin' :rolleyes: :lol: an Olfa knife the black blades cut real nice but break much much easier. And some lube will help with the repeated cuts necessary, soap or brake-fluid [used would be an excellent way to use this up] may help. And keep your fingers AWAY these knives cut just about everything, skin included! Harry
Main page: https://www.olfaproducts.com/ and this one: https://www.olfaproducts.com/olfa-bn-l- ... -18mm.html Extra Sharp Blades: https://www.olfaproducts.com/olfa-lbb-5 ... -5-pk.html And the "Original" blades: https://www.olfaproducts.com/olfa-lb-5b ... s-5pk.html
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby classic_cruiser » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:56 am

GunsNCars wrote:...Second question regarding door glass... It appears at the moment that the regulator must come out with the glass. Is this correct? Thanks!

It's been a while since I took one out, but on the 76-80 H-body I'm pretty sure that once you take those two bolts out at the front of the door that hold the leading edge of the glass in, you can work the rollers out of the track one at a time without removing the regulator. I believe that the outer window sweep must also come off, that screw holding the trim on at the back of the door is just accessible once the glass is tilted enough. I remember needing to work the regulator up and down a few times to get the right angles.
1980 Pontiac Sunbird, 2.5L Notchback Coupe
1979 Pontiac Sunbird with transplanted Monza 305, notchback coupe
classic_cruiser

Postby sirrick4 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:57 pm

Rick I found expletives were an absolute must! Just Sayin' :rolleyes: :lol: an Olfa knife the black blades cut real nice but break much much easier. And some lube will help with the repeated cuts necessary, soap or brake-fluid [used would be an excellent way to use this up] may help. And keep your fingers AWAY these knives cut just about everything, skin included! Harry

Harry it sounds as if you had some experience with those Olfa knives cutting skin. Is that where the expletives came into it? :lol:
Rick ......1975 Monza 2+2
sirrick4

Postby GunsNCars » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:34 pm

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help. I got the door glass out of the passenger side, actually took out two screws that held a rail to the inner door panel and then I was able to tilt the window up and raise/lower it on an angle until it came out. Noe if I can just repeat the process on my '79' and then reverse the process to get the new glass in! I might have to drink a couple glasses of 'aiming fluid' before I attempt it!
GunsNCars

Postby Kenova » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:32 pm

GunsNCars wrote: Now if I can just repeat the process on my '79' and then reverse the process to get the new glass in! I might have to drink a couple glasses of 'aiming fluid' before I attempt it!

After you spend way too much time re-installing the door glass, consider that the guy on the assembly line could install it in less than 10 seconds. :lol:
Mind you, he didn't care if it broke, and had an entire bin of extras.

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Return to General Discussion